I love snacking on tidbits when I watch my Korean dramas online.
However, not all tidbits are healthy especially those packed chips and granola bars sold in the hypermarket.
It is either overloaded with sucrose, sweeteners or salt.
Homebaked tidbits would be healthy as you can control the amount of sugar and salt which is why I had decided to search for Corn Flakes Almond Slices that had caught my attention when I was passing by a bakery shop.
Almond Slices are alike granola bars, a mixture of sticky goey finger bars with assorted nuts and fruity chips.
In my recipe, I had added chopped red cherries and sultanas which were roughly a handful and mixed with toasted almonds which are coarsely chopped.
These fruity and nutty ingredients are packed with fibre or you can add in some other dried fruits such as almonds, pineapples, mangoes or lemons.
Although granola bars are chunky and sticky, Almond Slices are on the healthy side, less sugar, more eggs to combine the ingredients well and I even added crushed corn flakes for more iron and fibre.
If you are out of corn flakes, you can add in Instant Oats or Nestum for a change.
However, remember to blend them in a food processor to turn them into fine texture.
As for the flour, you could use the usual plain flour, wheat flour or almond flour, whichever that you have in hand.
If you are using self raising flour, leave out the baking powder.
Remember to sieve the flour and baking powder before you start using them in order to ensure there aren’t any bits and harden flour in the batter.
In addition sieving helps to lighten the Almond Slices and gives a chewy, crunchier bites.
Do not use margarine for your cookies and cakes because it is high in fat content.
I usually use unsalted butter to omit the salt in my cookies.
You can melt the butter buy cutting them into small cubes as it melts easier.
Otherwise, leave them at the room temperature to thaw the butter.
Buy raw almonds from the shop, which is much cheaper than roasted ones.
Place the raw almonds onto the tray in the oven and toast them for 5-10 min.
Do not toast until they turned brownish, just light crispy will do.
Chop them with a kitchen knife or place them into a zip lock bag, crush them with a fist.
As for the corn flakes, remember to buy non-sugar coated , the original flavor is the best bet.
Do enjoy this recipe and have a healthy snack , anytime, any day!
Corn Flakes Almond Slices recipe
- 80g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup corn flakes-crushed finely
- 3 eggs
- 180g castor sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 200g butter-melted
- 100g sliced almonds-toasted
- Some chopped red cherries, sultanas and coarsely chopped almonds
How to make Corn Flakes ALmond Slices
- Sift flour and baking powder together in a bowl.
- Pour in vanilla essence and beat in eggs one at a time , after beating each interval.
- Add in sugar, keep beating until sugar dissolves. You can try touching the batter, if it is sandy, that means the sugar is still there.
- Add in melted butter, keep beating.
- Fold in the corn flakes mixture and almond slices, mix well.
- The batter should be sticky and goey.
- Line a rectangular or square baking tray with foil. Grease llightly.
- Spread the batter thinly onto the tray. Even the surface with a butter knife.
- Sprinkle chopped red cherries, sultanas and more coarsely chopped almonds over the top.
- Bake at 180C for 25-30min or until the surface turned golden brownish.
- Leave to cool before cut into rectangular slices.
- Keep in an airtight container. Use a baking sheet to separate each layers so that the almond slices do to stick to each other.
- Makes around 20 slices.
A great snacking treat for kids and packed school lunch box.
written by peachpurple
picture by peachpurple
more recipes written by peachpurple