Many of us dining at western restaurants would inevitably had
the urge to try out the chef recommended meal, fish and chips
with creamy mushroom sauce or grilled chicken chop
Western food where it is concerned do not include rice but
potatoes or meaty ingredients as main course dish.
This is quite different from local Asian eating habit.
Rice is a staple food for Malaysians but it could bored anyone
with the same food every day.
So, what is so appealing about a piece of flat fish and fried potato
I am not sure whether codfish or dory fish would make a good
crispy fish fillet but I am going to try my hands on a piece of
dory fish fillet since there was 50% discount at Tesco for 3
Fish and Chips Recipe
l 2 dory fish or any fish fillets
l 1 egg beaten
l a packet of breadcrumbs
l 4 tbsp butter
l 1/2 lemon
Method of preparation:
1. Place breadcrumbs on a plate.
2. Dip each dory fish into the beaten egg.
3. Make sure both sides are well coated.
4. Place each fish on the plate to coat the breadcrumbs.
5. Coat both sides as thick as possible.
6. In a frying pan, heat up with butter until fairly hot.
7. Squeeze in lemon juice into the butter.
8. Place the dory fish into the melted butter.
9. Fry for 5-10 minutes.
10. Flip over to the uncooked side.
11. Turn off heat when the fishes turned crispy and brownish.
12. Drain well on kitchen paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
13. Serve with yellow mustard or tartar sauce and chopped parsley.
To prepare the chips
l 2 large Holland or USA potatoes
l Oil to cook
1. Briefly wash the potatoes to remove the dirt.
2. Peel off the skin
3. Cut potatoes into long thin strips
4. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper and toss well.
5. Heat up a deep fryer with lots of oil.
6. Dip in one batch of potato chips, one at a time.
7. It will take around 5-10 minutes to
cook crispy, brown potato chips.
8. Lift them up and drain on kitchen paper towel.
A complimentary of:
l Sunny side egg
l Fried potato chips
l Fresh iceberg lettuce
l Mashed potatoes
l Cold pasta salad
l Fresh vegetable salad
l Fresh fruit salad
l Mushroom soup
Breadcrumbs vs Batter
Breadcrumbs is definitely a healthier choice compare to batter.
Breadcrumbs are light, made from toasted bread and coat meats
These crumbs do not absorb oil because batter do need a lot of
oil to cook the inner side of the fish flesh.
It takes much longer time for the oil to fry up the batter first
before heating up the flesh.
In addition batter is soggy while breadcrumbs are crispy and
Choose the right fish
If you like Fish and Chips as much as my kids do, you will be
happy to know that this fish recipe is very easy to prepare.
You can do it for a quick breakfast, lunch or dinner but remember
to transfer your selected fish to the fridge not the freezer.
You need to thaw the fish first.
There is no rule which type of fish you can use in this quick to
If possible, look for fish with little bones because you want to
have more fillet in it.
In the supermarket and the wet market, you can find :
l cod fish,
l seabass ,
l Spanish mackerel- cut into thick slices
l Ikan kurau- cut into thick slices
l Dory fish fillets
Remember to choose fresh fish, those freshly cut fish would
make a splendid main course dish of the day.
It is best to cook the fish on the day itself in order to maintain the
freshness and nutritional value.
Do try this simple Fish and Chips with breadcrumbs for a
Copyright allrights reserved by peachpurple
Photos belonged to peachpurple
Do join in LiteracyBase now and share with us your recipe
More recipes you might be interested: