Copyright by peachpurple
Brown rice has became the main course meal for my parents since my dad had high blood pressure and mom had stroke plus diabetesType 2.
In the past, we used to consume white rice which was cheaper and easier to prepare compare to brown rice.
However due to health reasons, my parents were advised by the
doctor-in-charged , to consume brown rice in order to reduce other illness from occur.
What is Brown rice?
Brown rice is a type of grain that the outer husk is removed during milling, leaving a nutritious, fibre rich coating of bran.
When you consume brown rice, you may find that it gives the chewy texture, tasted like nuts, dry and very filling.
Brown rice hold greater value than white rice because it contains more minerals and protein which is suitable for patients and elderly folks who consume less.
The nutritious value
Brown rice coating contains:
How to store brown rice
Since brown rice coating has oils that can turn rancid quickly, it is best to keep your rice in plastic container with a tight lid, away from heat and sunlight.
My dad usually store his brown rice in a big plastic tub, under the sink in the dry kitchen.
He said that brown rice doesn’t have pests problem as white rice do have black tiny fleas ( we called them KUTU )
Disadvantages of Brown rice
My dad says:
- A packet of brown rice cost 2x of white rice. This is one of the reason why fewer people would consider brown rice as a staple food.
- Required more preparation time to soak and change the rice water.
- You have to soak brown rice a few hours before dumping it into the rice cooker.
- Brown rice requires 1 hour of cooking time. Unlike white rice, you can opt for Quick Cook that shortens the cooking time to 20 min. You can’t do that to brown rice. It requires longer time to cook and soften it.
- Brown rice requires more water than white rice. Dad said it requires 2 cups of water. He called it “Water sucking rice”
Advantages of brown rice
- Rich in Selenium- reduce cancer, heart disease, arthritis ( my dad has irregular heart beat )
- Promote weight loss- helps my mum to keep her weight under control since she has diabetes
- Prevent thicken arteries- prevent arteries plaque from building up and lower cholesterol levels ( good for my dad )
- Prevent constipation – Brown rice contains high fibre, prevents wastage from becoming hard and in big bulk. Helps my mom to poop every 2 days. She had serious constipation up to 7 days!
- Sugar stabilizer- helps to slow down the sugar released into blood. It is very suitable for diabetes patients and lower the sugar level in blood. ( suitable for my diabetic mom)
Recipe for brown rice
Initially, my dad had difficulties in adjusting his and mom daily lifestyle consuming brown rice. That is due to the reason that he had no idea that you can mix brown rice with other ingredients that turn it into a delicious meal.
Here is one of his favorite recipe which he fondly called it “dump rice” because all he did was dumped everything into the rice cooker and press “COOKED” !
I called it Brown Rice with Chestnuts, sounds better , isn’t it?
- 1 cup brown rice, wash as packet instruction
- 1 cup pearl rice, wash and drain 2x
- 300g shelled chestnuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
Method of cooking
- Wash brown rice as usual. Soak in water (2.5 cups of water)for 3 hours.
- Boil chestnuts in water without the shells, for 2 min.
- Drain and remove the peels.
- Transfer brown rice with water, pearl rice, chestnuts, oil and salt into the rice cooker.
- Press COOK and wait patiently.
Allow the brown rice to stay in the cooker for another 10 min before serving.
I tried it and the verdict was AWESOME !
original Photos uploaded by peachpurple
Recipe by my DADDY