Author Posts

June 11, 2016 at 2:23 am

There is a common belief, or call it superstition, that when a black cat crosses your way it will eventually bring you bad luck.

I don’t believe that’s true. And in fact, I had a black cat living in my home, which crossed my way several times a day, but I still consider myself lucky. I don’t think the color is what defines your luck. Do you believe in that or you are more like me?

June 11, 2016 at 3:16 am

Besides loving gray cat, I love black cat too and I would never believe in superstitions like that. Being a cat lover, being a black cat is just a color. It is jut associated with something like that because it is black. Cat will get scared when you look them in the eyes, so it is understandable that when you happened to see eye to eye in the dark places, they will look scary as it is trying to scare you, shooing you away. Things happen for a reason and do not look at the cat being the reason when you see one. I don’t agree and never agree on that.

It was my mother who told me that thing. Even my grandmother was telling me when I was young to do not believe with people about the black cat superstitions as it is just a cat. Movies and media are one of the reason that influence people to believe that because this thing was associated with movies and witchcraft, but in real life it is not true.

June 11, 2016 at 9:16 am

No I do not believe it to be true. I like black cats. However, people do not tend to adopt black cats or black dogs for superstitious beliefs. I have heard that many shelters have to work hard to get these animals adopted. Black cats have been thought to be witch’s familiars from centuries ago. I think movies and tv shows create more superstition throughout the decades and keep it alive even to this day. It is a shame because they are just animals who had the misfortune to be born with black fur.

June 11, 2016 at 10:06 am

@ Nina  Yeah, many people believe in this superstition in my country. In fact, any cat crossing your way is considered to be inauspicious. Cats are generally considered inauspicious in my country and that’s the reason, people here donot keep cats as pets.

June 11, 2016 at 10:35 am

According to chinese culture in Asian countries, black cats are  taboo for bad luck and rising the dead.

For example, when there is a funeral, black cats are not allowed to walk across or infront of the coffin.

The deceased will rise from the dead which was one of the belief that it will become a zombie, unable to rest in peace.

Hence, black crows, black cats are some poor creatures to be considered as bad luck.

I mean, these animals wouldn’t want to be black but they are born with black feathers and furs.

What can they do?

Paint or spray for feathers and furs into rainbow colors??

June 20, 2016 at 6:18 am

@nina For the old folks, they do believe in this myth. As for me, I don’t go for such superstitious belief. I am just being aware that they do believe in it. I had also watched some movies that if a cat dies, you will not see their remains.

December 15, 2016 at 9:32 pm

I believe if a black cat crosses you on Friday the 13th uuuhhh your cursed and something bad will happen but that’s just me…. in kenya especially in Mombasa black cats are considered cursed or, spirits or  juju. generally cats are known to carry evil spirits or used by people who practice witchcraft, we have heard ro many stories of women turning into cats or cats turning into women in random places like inside a public bus or in a shop or around the ocean, but till i see it for myself, i would rather stay away from an animal claimed to have nine lives.

December 18, 2016 at 8:27 pm

I have never loved black cats. I have a cat myself but its brown and white. Black cats always give me jitters i just dont like them. And yes that sying goes for so many people. There are those wwho will believe in it and others wont. Before time when i was told about it i believed it and whenever a cat crossed in front of me i knew i was not going to have a good day. But kn my culture yhey have even specified yhe time that the cat crosses apparently if it crossed before you at night thats bad luck. Over the years i have taken it as a true thing and lives with it and so i believe it. In fact if i walking and i see a black cat on one side of the road and it looks like it wants to cross over to the other side, it is so automatic i usually turn back and ho the other way until it crosses its that bad. so yes i believe so.

December 19, 2016 at 6:55 am

Me either do not believe in that superstitious belief about black cats.

Many times,  a cat crosses my way and nothing bad happens to me. For that bad luck, I believe that it is the people themselves who make their own luck.

December 19, 2016 at 9:51 am

When your bad omen black cat and your own negative rays meet together bad luck happens not due to black cat but due to your own negative intention is the law of nature. All negative things on earth all over the world happen due to negative thoughts because all diseases are due to negative thoughts and all problems on earth are due to negative thoughts.

We must change our negative thoughts into positive thoughts to change the world because everything on earth follows the law of action and reaction but a illiterate do not know it.

actually black sight change your positive thoughts into negative thoughts and thus bad luck happens with the black cater watcher. All earthly things on earth for men betterment but men could not know the whole things’ mystery but a few things’ mysteries men have known by their limited means and wisdom.

January 19, 2017 at 4:20 am

it is indeed sad that black cats are shooed away especially by chinese people.

Wish that these pitiful cats myths were not created by old folks

January 20, 2017 at 5:37 am

I have always heard never to cross over a black cats path or it was bad luck, in general that black cats were bad luck. If however you are the owner of a black cat they are suppose to bring you good luck, or be a good luck charm for the owner. I have a black cat, I’m pretty lucky. I have always believed this.