Author Posts

June 28, 2016 at 5:51 am

Water is precious to us as electricity does.

We cannot live without water because our body needed it to survive.

Water is supplied to us daily for our convenience but we have to pay for the water bill charged to us according to the metric usage by the end of the month.

How much is your  monthly water bill?

Mine is USD $2.92 ( rm 12 ) MONTHLY which is the average bill.

If I could save water, I might save USD$1.22 ( RM 5 ) per month with the following steps:

• Turn off water tap when brushing teeth
  • Turn off shower when shampooing hair or body
  • Fill up pail with water to wash vehicle instead of using the water hose
  • Turn off water tap when soaping the dirty plates, pots and pans.

How do you save water at home?

Share with us your tips

June 28, 2016 at 7:49 am

@peachpurple  I am very particular about saving water although there is no dearth in our house – thanks to the ever flowing well.

When I designed our home I had laid pipes connecting bathrooms, kitchen and wash basins to trees. As you have pointed I follow all those rules as well.

June 28, 2016 at 6:14 pm

@peachpurple, Nice of you paying your water bill only that, mine here is equivalent to $18.

June 28, 2016 at 7:28 pm

I am paying Php700 ($16USD) monthly for our water bill. It is too much for us to pay that bill. You know in our country, there are so many members of a family and we call it an etended family which a married family member is also living together with their parent. Just in our case, our eldest daughter is living with us together with her hubby and a daughter.

Our youngest son and with his wife are also living with us. And our three grandchildren with their father are also staying with us while their mother is working abroad. Our nd daughter and the youngest and a grandon are with us too. So ho many of us in the family? We are 15 in all. We have the washing machine.

With such big family, how could we save water conumption then? I have not come up with water conservation yet to lessen our monthly consumption and also to reduce our monthly bill.

June 28, 2016 at 7:52 pm

@peachpurple  I am very particular about saving water not because of the bills but because clean, drinking water is still a luxury in many remote villages of India. The state of Maharashtra has a severe drought and water is sold as a commodity there.

Here are a few tips for saving water:

• Turn off the taps while brushing or shaving.
  • Instead of a shower, use a bucket so that you can use less water.
  • Take shorter showers.
  • Rinse vegetables/fruits in a pan of water and the water can then be used for watering your indoor plants.
  • Fully load your dishwasher.
  • Use a bucket instead of a hose pipe to wash your car.

June 28, 2016 at 7:58 pm

@peachpurple our water bill in our area is based on size of our house/apartment/homes. I pay a very small amount of equivalent to $15 a year. However, I have a submersible pump installed at my residence which costs me another $20-30/year.

There is no shortage of water in our area but as there is serious problem in certain parts of our country we take full care to save as much water as possible. We are trying our best to maintain the water level by water harvesting and digging up lost water ponds during last few decades. 

June 28, 2016 at 11:33 pm

mark the water faucet knob so that you can know to turn it only so far, instead of turning it wide open and wasting two or three times as much as really needed.

Let the bathtub water drain connect to an outside water hose line so it can be used to water large shrubs or trees instead of giving it back to the city’s main water line because you pay the same for it anyway.

Place a large 50 gallon can at the edge of where the roof water drains and collect it for watering garden plants.

July 1, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Since we have scheduled water supply in my city, the best thing to do is to let the faucet drip water in a pail. You can put the water from the pail to the water tank. It is a bit tiring but the worth of letting the muscles work as an exercise. It was a secret that was been told for us to save money. The meter will not go to be generated.

August 2, 2016 at 4:54 pm

My water bill depends on the people who are in the house but when am alone i ca incur a bill of like 10$ a month. what i do is that when i want to o my chores  usually have water stored up in Jerry cans that can be used when there is no water, when i brush y teeth i turn off the water when am brushing and open it when i want to rinse y mouth, also when am washing the dishes i soap the up first ten open the water when rinsing, basically i just don’t let the water run when not i use.

August 5, 2016 at 4:45 pm

There is no shortage of water in our area but we are still saving water eventhough we dont buy it. Whenever we wash our laundry we put all the used water in pails then we will use it to water the plants and to flush the toilet. We dont use faucets when we wash the dishes too! We will just store water in the pails and we will use it to wash the dishes. When brushing my teeth I use glass so I can only use enough water. When taking a bath, we use pail also because in our place we have those manual waterpumps.

August 5, 2016 at 6:18 pm

@bestwriter thats great- laying pipes to connect them to the trees is a way of water harvesting(non-rain). I wish if each building and house had this provision and it will conserve a lot of water in our ecosystem.
Also, turning off tap while brushing and shower while shampooing can also save a lot of water.

August 5, 2016 at 6:23 pm

@PEEUSH TRIKHA I would have been happy if others did the same.

August 5, 2016 at 6:34 pm

@lookat these are great measures and we ought to implement these in our own capacity- even if that capacity is not too high.

August 5, 2016 at 6:44 pm

@anjee You are the best water consrvationist I have come around Offline or Online. Even I can’t follow such stringent water saving means!

August 5, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Thanks @Peeush we really need to conserve water especially now that Earth is getting hotter and hotter which means we need more water. (ugh. they rhymed haha!)