Author Posts

June 27, 2016 at 6:01 am

Picture (17)

taken by peachpurple

These are the local snacks which are popular among Malaysians and Singaporeans.

The round ball with sesame seeds has the content of desicatted coconut with palm sugar.

The triangle puff is called Curry Puff.

Its filling is made from cubes of potatoes, stir fried with curry powder and onions.

A different version of curry puff is called Sardine puff which is my favorite because I love sardines.

The fillings is a mixture of mashed canned sardine with red chillies and onions.

You can find these local fried snacks sold by the roadside, food court, night market and coffee shops for breakfast.

5 pieces of snacks ( you can mix any of them ) cost USD 0.50 cents ( RM 2)

This is the cheapest snack you can find in our country and very filling too.

There are many varieties of snacks available but most of them are sweet cakes, fritters and fried puffs.

Honestly, they aren’t healthy but when you are hungry, lazy to cook, you will buy them as they are really cheap!

What are your favorite local snacks?

June 27, 2016 at 9:00 am

@peachpurple Those look and sound yummy, Peachy! I love coconut and sardine, so there are at least two I would probably really like.

Here, most people will buy chicken wings or taquitos for a snack at the convenience store. Or they’ll stick to chips, pretzels, popcorn, cheese puffs, etc. – all the packaged stuff. The local delicacy is called candy smoked salmon. It’s a thick chunk of fresh salmon that’s been marinated in a sweet brine (often made with honey or maple syrup.) The fish is then smoked to preserve it. It’s like a fishy candy!

June 27, 2016 at 9:08 am

http://172.104.9.193/members/ruby3881/

candy smoked salmon , that sounds interesting but how much does it cost?

Isn’t there any snacks that are sold on the spot freshly cooked?

Most snacks in USA are pre-packed, found in convenience store or supermarket.

What about the street vendors?

ANy candy stick, hotdog stand, burger stand, pizza stand?

Chicken wings are delicious especially if grill right on the spot.

I wonder how much it cost in your place?

Do you have the photo for fishy candy?

June 27, 2016 at 2:39 pm

We have all of the snack food you had posted sissy @peachpurple but I don’t remember the name, I only eat it not knowing the name. We also have Palitaw, came from glutinous rice. We put coconut grated meat and sugar, some put sesame seed. We also have banana que, camote que and other rice cakes.

[caption id="attachment_13161" align="alignnone" width="300"]credits to Thefilipinochow.com credits to Thefilipinochow.com[/caption]

June 27, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Back to school, somewhere the hinterland, when I was assigned there, our usual snacks we serve for ourselves were root crops like cassava, sweet potato (camote) with a hot ginger with brown sugar to taste. My teachers are used to it for it is the common and the traditional snacks the pupils and the native were used to eat. It is good that they are local products. We cost us nothing for they’re only grown in a vacant lot of the residents there.

April 10, 2017 at 11:19 pm

The beauty of America is in its food diversity because of its people diversity. A favorite local snack? Depends on what part of America you live in and might also depend on the ethnicity. This is a memory from growing up in Miami, Florida and having a Bahamian background. These two food items were definitely a local favorite in my community and my favorite. Conch salad and conch fritters. This is the beginning of my list. I have fave snack foods from Puerto Rico, Tex-Mex foods, Asian food, etc. 🙂

knobbed-conch-67738_960_720

Conch meat comes out of these beautiful shells.