Author Posts

May 8, 2017 at 5:20 pm

The percentage of increased delayed of speech in toddlers when they were given a hand-held device. 49% of the toddlers who were exposed to the hand-held devices such as tablets, smartphones etc had delayed speech. The team of researchers says that this was the first study conducted between toddlers expressive language delay and the hand-held devices. The study was conducted by a team which included 894 children between the ages of six months and two years. The research findings were presented in at the Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting in San Francisco. However, there was no apparent link between the other activities such as social interaction, body language, gestures when they were given the hand-held devices. This result has made the American Academy of Pediatrics discourage any type of screen media to children younger than 18 months. Despite the research findings and studies, people are not taking in the problem seriously. Nowadays newborn babies were given tablets to play with where we used to play with building blocks and crayons. Let the children use technology but not at the cost of their health.

May 9, 2017 at 12:58 pm

I have observed this too with my nephew. I have found that the consistent use of the YouTube video watching makes them do less activity around. And they may get addicted. And then they may refuse to do other things. This process in itself is going to make things harder. So other than speech there are many other things that may affect them. So they need to avoid using the hand held devices for the entertainment purpose. They can use the educational app but that may also limit the amount of things toddler can do ad so may affect the growth.

May 11, 2017 at 11:28 am

@mahesh. Well said and thanks for the very insightful comment. This happened with one of my cousins. He didn’t develop the speech at the right time but have learned to use laptop, smartphone, and tablet. He will go to youtube of his own and start to watch a cartoon of his won. I was shocked to see this and when I asked my aunt about this she said she used to give mobile phones and laptops when she is not able to control her son. I told her that this will surely affect him and it is not good for him but she just left that carelessly. Now she is regretting that and is now getting her son for various speech therapies. Also, another problem he cultivated was berating someone when they won’t give what he asks for. He became more aggressive, unfriendly, hurting other classmates especially girls. My aunt meets the principal every day after school because of my cousin’s misbehavior. It is a parent’s job to look after what their children are doing.

May 11, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Yes mobiles and tablet apps were meant to replace existing education. But it seems that is not going to work. So it’d be better if the kids not see the YouTube and social media. I think we all have to work harder to towards change. But it’s not going to happen overnight. And may take time for sure. Because if kids see what mobile can do they are going to ask for it. I don’t know if this is a good option in such case.