Author Posts

February 8, 2017 at 3:21 pm

WHICH SHOULD WE FOLLOW? ADVICE OF THE OLD / YOUNG

This study is based on I Kings 12

Here we were told the story of king Rehoboam, the son of Solomon when he began to reign in Israel.

The king needed to make a decision, he went to the old, and they advised him, but he wasn’t too cool with the old people advice.

The next he did, was that he called in his peer group, I mean his young folks, his friends, and sought their advice. The response soothed the king, the advice of the young men pleased him. Without thinking, he followed the advice of the young.

What happened next was disastrous, the king lost almost everything, next he heard was “to your tents o Israel” out of the twelve tribes, he was left with two.

LESSON

1.      The old people, may not have much money or many clothes but they have enough experience to share with the young.

Most times we believe they are ‘old school’ and we think they don’t know what is trending., you know; the newest fashion and all sort.

They know much, it is the young that lack knowledge. The advice of the old can still help us.

In all, we need to be careful because their way of life might influence some things; look at the case of the old prophet in I kings 13.

2.      The young men of the king’s age also gave their advice, but cannot afford to advice the king more than what they already know, they were still young. It is just the reality of the saying “you can’t give what you don’t have” anonymous.

I will say, we should seek God’s advice anytime a decision is about to me made.

If at all you want to turn to people for counsel, check their stand with God first, because people can only give what they already have.

check proverbs 3:3-5 for further study. God bless you.

#bepure

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by  Purity Purity.