Author Posts

November 30, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Sama Idli is a unique idli post which is made without rice and is usually made during the fasting season or even on ordinary days in India. It consists of millet grain which is very healthy and is useful for controlling fat and helps in reducing weight. It is light on the stomach and is very nutritious. You can also use fresh vegetables and leafy ones to improve the taste as per your taste and choice. It is a glutton free grain which helps in controlling weight. It is known as Barnyad Millets in english, Kuthiravali in tamil and Udala in telugu etc., If you want to cook a healthy meal  you can prepare the dish below and serve to your family and guests. It has to be served with either chutney  of idli powder which is good to taste. Serve hot.

INGREDIENTS

Black gram 1 glass

Little millet 2 glasses

Salt to taste as per requirement

METHOD

Clean black gram dal and little millet. Soak the dal and little millet separately for 4 hours. Grind them separately and then mix together. Add salt and leave the batter for fermentation. Once fermented mix the batter very well. Take an idli maker and plaace the batter in idli plates and steam for atleast 20 minutes. Can be served hot with pickle too.

November 30, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I never heard about this Idli. Is this Rava Idli in Telugu? No..the recipe given is somewhat different. I never even tried it. Idly prepared without rice is really amazing. There must be some other name for this in Telugu. I will google it.

In Rava Idli, there will be many vegetable pieces added. The idli will be made of Rava. We prepare the batter and mix the vegetables (half cooked) and when this is steamed for 10 minutes the Rava Idli will be ready.

Can we follow the above procedure adding all other vegetable pieces (half boiled) and prepare this dish?.

What will be the side dish for this item?