Author Posts

November 30, 2016 at 2:16 pm

This variety happens to be of a sweeter version which many would like to taste. The taste will be totally different compared to the earlier four varieties mentioned. It can add up to the wide range of variety of pickles which one can learn to prepare and enjoy with family members and others alike.                                               

INGREDIENTS (250 ml cup)

Mango pieces 4 cups

Methi seeds ½ tbsp.

Red chilli powser 1 tbsp

Powdered Jaggery 1 cup

Salt ½ cup

METHOD

Almost the same as making Avakaya, method for selecting slices of mangoes and warming of oil. Jaggery should be taken in powdered form. Mix the mango pieces with methi seeds, red chilli powder, salt and jiggery. Warm and cool oil.

Mix it with the pickle along with powdered jiggery. Let it rest for 24 hours, mix the pickle with a clean and dry spoon. Bellam avakaya goes well with chapatti or roti and is well liked by kids too.

November 30, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I heard about this recipe. No..No..I also  tasted it . We were having a person from Vizag who was transferred from Vizag. We were family friends. His wife once prepared this item.

Using jaggery in Avakai was quite a new thing for me. I did not like it in the beginning. But, my mother forced me to have it in the rice. Then I mixed some in the rice and tasted it. It was really rich in taste. Sweet and Savoury…the combination was really a different variety. I never tried it now. I even forgot the name of it also. Just now I came to recollect the name and the taste of it.

November 30, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for the interest shown regarding the cookery articles. Whatever the ingredients and quantity mentioned you can use it as a measure after you check the flavor of the pickle once. If you are satisfied then you can prepare more. Regarding the Sama Idli it is a telangana dish. You can experiment the same with steamed vegetables too. Best wishes and regards. – Krishna Kumar.