Author Posts

May 16, 2016 at 4:47 pm

We all have that somenone who influenced us into becoming bookworms. For me, it was my dad who influenced me into reading novels or nonfiction books. We didnt have television growing up, it was only when we reached high school that my parents could afford such luxury back then so we often use our imaginations. While all other kids are busy talking about what they’ve seen on TV last night, we, my sister’s and I are busy reading books. Until now, I don’t like watching TV and don’t know a lot of programs but I often crawl into bed, book in hand and I thank my father everyday for it.

What about you?

May 16, 2016 at 5:05 pm

It was my father too who initiated to expose me to the books of books. What I mean here is the library. I was a grade two elementary pupil at that time when he brought me to our municipal library. I never expected that I could see several books on the shelves, magazines spread on the track. The lady librarian was so accommodating, friendly and helpful. I found no reservation or difficulty in finding books suited to me. But all her recommendations, I found them unnecessary. I had my own preference. With my tender age of 9 and I have never ever exposed to books, I borrowed three volumes of Encyclopedia Britannica which was the common reference that anyone could find in the public library in my time.

You know what edition or topic I had chosen was about poetry and expository <span style=”background-color: #f5f6f5;”>writing</span>. That was the beginning of my interest in writing. I am so thankful for my late father who open my love for books in which until now I do nourish and nurture it. By the way, my humble father was only a grade two school goer. He stopped schooling for his family is poor.

May 16, 2016 at 6:07 pm

@slayer08 I think it’s really good that you didn’t have TV when you were young. Though we had TV at home, my parents limited us to watch the TV daily too. But now, as I do not allow my young children to watch TV, so we have removed the TV from our home. I think kids have much more things to do than to watch TV programs.

It’s also my dad who influenced me into reading too. My dad likes reading, and he always reads at home. He also always brought us to book stores or book fairs, and bought us books too. We have a big bookshelf and a few smaller bookshelves at home with lots of books. I used to think it’s very common in every home, until many friends who visited my house told me they didn’t have even a bookshelf at their home.

My children also love to read, though they can’t really read yet, I suppose it’s because my husband and I always read them picture books or story books and also sit down together with read with them. Sometimes, my elder son will read a book to the little sister as well. I still think reading is a good habit. 🙂

May 16, 2016 at 6:30 pm

I think that I was influenced by both of my parents to read. From an early age, my mother would take me to the library and we would look for books together. She loved to read books, but did not have much time for them as she was always taking care of us kids and the house. She also did lots of handwork.

My father would read the newspaper everyday and would sometimes read us an article that he found interesting. He would also read Reader’s Digest which had various types of articles in it as well has humorous antidotes. He would sometimes read other books as well. I still have a few of his books that my grandmother gave to him when he was young.

May 17, 2016 at 8:27 am

Ironically, nobody in my family are bookworms.

My dad reads newspaper over and over again in a day but not books.

He couldn’t read fine prints on books and he dozzes off pretty quickly.

He could bring the newspaper into the toilet to “bake cake”. Nobody touches the newspaper after that.

I had learned to read story books after my mom took me and my brother to a local bookshop where we can rent books.

However, she never reads a single book. She prefers to chit chat with the shop owner.

Since then, I started to read Enid Blyton’s book series at the local library and my school.

Reading is a good way to increase your knowledge and your ability to compose a composition.

That is how I scored As for English subject throughout my school days.

May 17, 2016 at 9:45 am

@peachpurple It seems like our older generations like to read newspapers every day, even though they do not read books. My mom does not read books too, but she must read newspapers every day. Then my parents always talk about the news in the papers, but I don’t know why, I have no interest in reading newspapers since I was young, though my mom always encouraged me to read.

It’s good that your mom brought you to the bookshop to rent books, and that inspired you to read more.

I am Chinese educated, and my parents can’t really read and speak English, they understood the importance of English and also encouraged us to read more and bought us many English books as well. But, I still preferred to read Chinese books when I was young. I guess it’s because of the Internet, I started to read more English articles and improved my writing while chatting with others. 😀

@morgoodie It’s so nice to still keep some old books from your grandmother. Those are really memorable items for you. 🙂

September 18, 2016 at 12:11 am

My aunt Jeanette, who was more of a mother to me, always read science fiction books and would encourage me to read in my free time. That was when I wasn’t outside playing or at the neighbor’s house learning how to use their computer. I wasn’t an inside person so I didn’t watch much television. I still don’t now. But my aunt would always take me to the library so I could check out my own books. I would get upset when the librarian would tell me a certain book was too advanced for me but my aunt would get it for me anyways. Reading is what got me interested in writing. I would read books and then write a book report about it for extra points.

I still read but I find it a little harder to find books I’m interested in. I don’t like “short” books. I like books that have more than 300 pages. You know something that is going to last a good while. It normally takes me less than 5 hours to read one book. That’s if I find it interesting in the first 5 pages.

September 18, 2016 at 11:18 am

I don’t know, maybe those fantasy stories and epic that I love to read when I was still a little child. I have read the stories of Bernardo Carpio, Biag ni Lam-ang, and other that mobilize my imagination. Look at me now, I am a writer and I can write fiction narrative story. I remember when I was a child I really love reading books even though we are living in the remote rural area of the Bicolandia.

September 27, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Growing up, my father took care of that task in my life of bring me into reading books. He would buy me comic books, poems, and short stories to read. After that in Elementary school we would get rewarded when we completed a summary of each book we read. Its a wonderful experience growing up reading books because you get so into it. Its amazing the power of your ming using imagination to create a scene of your own as you are read each word in the book.

October 4, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I would have to say my mother. She used to read to us when we were young and though she did not have a lot of money to splurge on us, she used to take us occasionally to old book shops.

I think because we could not buy a lot of books, it made them seem even more valuable and precious. We used to read and re-read each one that we had. Later I was lucky to have friends in school who also enjoyed books so I was never without some sort of reading material.

October 7, 2016 at 10:05 pm

it was my father who taught me to love books. now I do it whenever I want to relax. I especially love to read on the beach or in the bath-tub

November 7, 2016 at 2:54 am

That one is for you guys ooo. As for me, though I was intelligent right from childhood age but I wasn’t used to reading. I will play and play and play until exams are around the corner and I will start reading, I now tag that as cramming,though I made a lot of high grades with it. When I entered secondary school, I mean junior secondary I continued reading during the exam period but this time around I read a bit. There will be sometimes I just pick up my book to read. Why I picked up my book in my junior secondary school was because I was scared there were a lot of people to challenge me, so I had to buckle up. With that little improvement, I could still maintain my good grade until I graduated from junior secondary before changing school for my senior secondary. My parents in no way advised me to read, they  just believe I will always read whether am told to read or not. But they certainly tell other of my siblings to read. When I was in jss1. My father promised me that if I should get the first position, that he’s gonna buy me a bicycle and that triggered my moral and I got first position at the end of the term though my father didn’t buy any bicycle for me.

November 7, 2016 at 3:07 am

When I entered a new school for my senior secondary and saw that level has changed in the sense that the students  I met in my senior secondary are brains and they are more intelligent than me and they all were readers. So I had to improve my reading ability and time. I knew this after my first year, I was still using the same method I used in my junior secondary but was seeing myself backward in position always though my grades were kinda good. At the end of my year one in senior secondary school, there was this man named Dr Ken Katas, an inspirational and motivational speaker,, he was invited to my school and he was paid a huge amount of money to just f one to talk to us. After every of his seminar, I was well inspired and motivated by his words. And he talked about reading and other things but he based mainly on how to be a very good reader. I learnt a lot from his program and took it to myself to start reading like him. His theme for the seminar was sit down and read and he said we have to read for 8 hours every day. Though eight hours can’t just be started like that by me, I started with 4 to 5 hours but now I can sit down and read for more than 8 hours and it really helped me in my waec and neco examinations and I passed with four grades. Thanks to him and all thanks to God. This the reason why I can still remember 60% of what I read during my final exam period even though it’s been 2 years I left secondary school but wellshall I scale through my secondary school textbook few times. Am happy no cramming was involved.

November 17, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I don’t know many shows either even though we had a TV all my life. I always preferred books; My mom started when I was an infant. She read to me all te time I was awake and let me look at the page, Then one day she suspected I could read, and she would stop during a story, and I would finish the sentence at three years old. THeb when I was four years old she found out my secrets that I was reading her stack of her old magazines. She let me finish those that she wanted to be saved for whatever reason. Then she let me read the new ones she would get since I was four years old! I have been reading so much since then. I just love and adore reading a good book!

November 17, 2016 at 9:43 pm

@evilelf I am impressed that you can read a book in five hours.  I take a lot longer but do read something on a daily basis.

I love newspaper ad there was a comment that those who are older read newspapers abut not books. It takes me time to get all my daily newspapers read, but I do read then and books.I also read news apps and news websites. So people can read newspapers and yet read books. I read a lot of books.

I never stop a book because I am always interested in knowing what happened in the end. I have to stick with each book I read whether I like it or not!

Love reading!