Author Posts

May 7, 2016 at 5:53 am

Is there anywhere on the site where we can find guidelines for image sizes that work well on LiteracyBase? I’d really like to know how big to make the pics I use for my featured image so they won’t end up being stretched or squished out of proportion.

@admin could you help please? Thanks so much!

Size Matters

How big should our images for LiteracyBase posts be?

May 7, 2016 at 6:02 pm

We are working on this part as well and will let you know the procedure to edit the picture or the best size of a picture.

May 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Thanks @admin for working on that. It seems like you have been working really hard. Thank you for all the effort.

@ruby3881 The picture you added is really cute. I like it very much! Did you use GIMP to do that as well?

May 7, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Since there is nothing mentioned about image size I am posting as they come but as I always download on my desktop so I have no issue resizing them to required size.

May 8, 2016 at 7:47 am

That will be most appreciated, @admin! I am very familiar with using the WP dashboard to edit posts and have no problem creating images that will be te right size for the site. All I need to know is what the best sizes are, and how to fix any images that are not displaying correctly 🙂

May 8, 2016 at 7:51 am

@kaka135 I made that one on a site called Canva. I like to use their templates sometimes, just for fun. They have a wide variety of graphic types and sizes, and lots of sample layouts you can customize. It’s free, for anyone who wants to try it 🙂

May 8, 2016 at 2:36 pm

@ruby3881 Thanks for sharing that. I read about Canva from Buffer website, and I have already bookmarked it. I think it’s good to give it a try, as the image is really nice! 😀

May 9, 2016 at 4:13 am

@kaka135 I’m also going to check out PicMonkey this week. It seems to be similar to Canva, but with greater functionality for us geeks 😛

May 9, 2016 at 5:41 am

@ruby38

thanks very much for sharing these sites you had mentioned.

I wanted to create nice graphic images too, you had found them.

As for the featured images, I had noticed that less than 1mb is acceptable.

More than 1 mb is for the Add Media in the post.

I could re size the images in the post but I had to use MsPaint to re size it again for the featured image.

Quite troublesome I say.

@sunil

I agree with you. I also resize my pictures in the post, no problem with that but I noticed that the pixels became blurry.

Not as sharp as the original picture I had in my hard drive

May 9, 2016 at 9:35 am

@peachpurple I really dislike the Paint programs, as their functionality is too basic. I have had IrfanView on my computer for my than a decade, and this is one of my “go to” apps for viewing graphics. I find it has lots of great options for image manipulation, and fairly good for adding text to images. It also comes in handy for odd things like taking a screen capture or playing Ogg Vorbis formatted files (*.ogg sound files.) IrfanView is free, very small, and very simple to install on your computer.

My other graphics app is GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It’s also free, but it’s more complex to use. If you are familiar with Photoshop or PaintShop Pro (PSP) you will find it fairly easy to use. I do have to look things up sometimes, though, because GIMP does some things differently from PSP.

You can certainly crop and resize images in either of these apps.

May 9, 2016 at 1:26 pm

@peachpurple it won’t get if you resize them in MS picture manager according to sizes provided there besides  you might have noticed it that when you enlarge something then of course you feel problem but in case you lessen the size the picture will get even better.

@ruby3881 Yes I am also using lots of pictures from free photo sharing sites therefore I don’t find any problem resizing them. Even if I use my own photographic work I reduce them in a reasonable size. That save upload time.

May 10, 2016 at 1:29 am

@sunil It’s very simple to crop or resize an image, given the correct dimension for the site. That is why I was asking for admin to help. We need to know what the best size is for featured image, and also for images inserted into posts.

May 10, 2016 at 9:10 am

@Ruby3881 If you ask me 640×480 is the best size to insert an image in your post and if you intend to make it a featured image I don’t think there is any need to reduce or increase it.

May 10, 2016 at 11:53 am

@sunil I believe that is the size of image I included with my last submission, so we will see how it fares when the post publishes.

Unfortunately, when we create images for social media sharing, each site has different optimal sizes. The 640×480 px image that works as a featured image on many sites is too wide and not tall enough for Pinterest, which relies very heavily on images for sharing.

On other sites like Facebook, Twitter and Google+, the image should be wider than it is long (horizontal or landscape orientation.) But again, each site has different sizing guidelines and aspect ratios. The best way to ensure that our images display well when our readers share our posts to those sites is to add the right sized images to our posts, so the site will find what it’s looking for when it crawls the post during sharing.

This doesn’t mean that we can’t set the image to display in a smaller format here in order to improve loading time or the overall look of our posts. But that’s where the support staff come in.

We need clear guidelines from @admin or @support as to what size images work best for featured image and in the body of the post. And we need to be able to upload graphics optimized for social media sharing, even though we may reduce display size when we add them to the post.

As of my last post submission earlier today, the “Add Media” was opening into a real mess that I couldn’t even view properly. Just checking on it now as I write this reply, it seems very much improved. I suspect staff are working behind the scenes 🙂

Looking forward to more news!

May 10, 2016 at 1:32 pm

@ruby3881 I actually set my featured image size to 480 x 360. But I just checked on my published post, the image has been resized to 1024 x 512. So, I am thinking if that is the ideal image size for the blog post here.

Of course, it would be good to get the confirmation from support or admin, but before that, perhaps you can also try out this image size.