For as long as I have not been working, my fiancé and I averagely spend $10-15 per day for breakfast. Do not get me started about lunch and dinner, that is a separate budget.
Now that we are engaged and planning for the future, we want to attempt at budgeting solely on one income, no guarantees and not necessarily a lifestyle change but we are seeing how it goes. Plus making our foods from home is a lot healthier as we know the way we are cooking is clean.
So far, we have a handful of breakfast ideas down. One idea being pancakes, eggs and turkey bacon. Occasionally side of fresh fruit, toast or english muffin. Of course this is not a breakfast meal that we will eat everyday but I thought I would share one of the many breakfast ideas on a budget.
What ingredients do we need for our breakfast?
- Organic Pancake Mix, one bag is $5 and we got 4 uses per bag therefore that averages out to $1.25
- Organic Eggs – 12 count, cost $6 and we use 2 eggs – 1 for each of us therefore that averages out to .50 cents each, so $1.00
- All Natural Turkey Bacon – 12 count, cost $6 and we use 2 turkey bacon strips – 1 for each of us therefore that averages out to .50 cents each, so $1.00
- Organic Maple Syrup – $9 and we are currently half way at 4 uses, so averagely one bottle can be used 8 times. Each usage for the both of us would average out to be $1.13
- Organic Milk for the pancake mix, $4 for 6 usages and that averages out to $0.67
Essentially, it costs us about $5 bucks or $2.50 each for our breakfast instead of spending the usually $10-15, we are saving at least $5 to $10 bucks already.
- I did not include the price of organic canola oil that was $7. One bottle will last literally a long time so I did not factor that in.
- As far as fresh fruits – it depends on what we buy and bread varies but those would be eaten not specifically just for breakfast but anytime.
Not too bad, but we are not really good at keeping to plans for long or mapping out prices. Had we use regular products and not organic, the costs would be a lot more inexpensive.
How much is your budget for breakfast? What do you usually have for breakfast?