Author Posts

May 12, 2016 at 2:21 am

I love older people and I think that even though they are not “up with the times” they can still be a great source of information and education to the younger generation. I often feel more in tune with older people than I do with people my own age. My mother never wanted to go to a nursing home, but when it came down to her being very ill, she wanted us to put her there. She did not feel that we could take care of her properly and she did not want to be a burden on us. We refused to put her in one though and brought her to her home where she would be comfortable. We had hospice nurses coming to check on her and make sure that she was not in pain.

When I had to go back to work full time after my children were born, I found a lady who ran a daycare out of her house. For whatever reasons, we just clicked and she developed a strong bond with my children and I. Her daughter told her that when the time came she could live in a senior or retirement place instead of living with her. Of course, I told my friend that she would just come live with me when the time came so she would not have to go to a home without family.

It is sad when people just put their elderly in nursing homes and then do not visit. I am sure that they have their reasons, but it is still a shame. Even though they are in nursing homes, they can still be important part of a family dynamic.

May 12, 2016 at 2:30 am

@kaka135 have a point there. I know a certain person wants to be in a nursing home because her children are fighting with each other on who will able to take care of her. For her, if she will be a burden to them, she would want to be staying in the nursing home and find people who are experiencing the same. The decision makes me cry. I am praying I have the long patience and the big love I have for my parents will able to help and take care of them when they grow old. I know I will do everything for them.

@4cryingoutloud that is the problem. Nursing home is under staff. It made me think no one wanted to be with senior people and it will lead them to being sad. Not to assume about it but I know not all of the seniors prefer to be there, of course, it is still best if you are with your family. However, not all can afford to do that, physically, mentally and financially.

May 12, 2016 at 2:47 am

@kaka135, yes the parents got along with their children.  The children apparently could take seeing their parent in a nursing home, yet they were unable to take care of them.  Maybe the child felt guilty about sending their parent to the nursing home, but why NOT come to see them to make sure they are taken care of.

As far as their health issues, if family was more involved and was there to see their parent’s improvements or health issues, it would be taken care of easier and maybe quicker.  I’m NOT saying nursing homes aren’t good, but some children don’t get involved..they just put them in a nursing home..out of sight out of mind.

As, I said I worked in nursing homes and some of these people just want some one to listen to them and be company for them, when they have NO family.  Our course there are activities and one on one interaction, but not as much as they need… not enough for staff, when family should be there.

May 12, 2016 at 2:53 am

@morgoodie, exactly, some times the children put their parents in nursing homes and then NEVER come see them.  This not only happens in  nursing homes but with mentally challenged adults as well.  The family puts them some place where they’re taken care of and then are “ashamed” and never see them again.

If the younger generation would visit with the elderly they could learn so much more and learn compassion.  Often times individuals do get depressed and so the nursing home may have a dog that they have.  Maybe a dog in some cases is better interaction than the family members that never come to see them!!

June 20, 2016 at 10:15 pm

There are some old folks who cannot cope up with the changes in this world. In some point, there is a generation gap. But then, I do believe that this kind of changes can be adapted by senior citizens. Only if they are open to changes and ready to accept the changes in their lives.