Author Posts

May 10, 2016 at 8:56 pm

To save on money for food, I’ve been growing a garden.  Now there is some investment at first, like seeds, but once you start growing your own food you can save your seeds and the next year you already have your seeds.  With growing your own food, you can can or freeze your food.  In fact from last years garden, we are still eating cucumber, tomatoes, zucchini, squash and carrots.

I’ve got a currant bush and rhubarb as well.  However, the rhubarb takes several years before you actually reap from the plants.  Also, this year I’m starting a strawberry bed.  I also have seeds for black raspberries, blueberries and blackberries that I’m going to try to grow.  Also, trying my hand at growing herbs year round in the house.

I also do baking and cooking, so I mainly just buy staples which cuts costs of groceries as well.  The internet is great for finding recipes and for using for substituting something for something that you don’t have!! lol

We also have our own chickens that produce meat and eggs for us.  Now, some of you may be limited to space or live in town so that you can’t grow a garden or have chickens.

Do you do your own cooking from scratch?  Do you grow a garden?

May 10, 2016 at 11:38 pm

Cooking my own food makes me use less cash. I also buy things in bulky and that way i get to save as well

May 10, 2016 at 11:56 pm

While growing up, my parents had a garden and we would grow just about everything. We had yellow squash, cucumbers, peas, green beans, onions, green onions, potatoes, corn, dill, carrots, radishes, green peppers, and tomatoes. I know we had more but I cannot remember everything. My parents also canned and froze many things. My mom would can tomatoes, tomato juice, veggie soup, carrots, and green beans. She also canned peaches, applesauce, pickles, and pickled beets. She would freeze peas and chopped green peppers. It was hard work and would take all day over the weekends, but we would have shelves of canned goods in the basement. I love food from the garden. I do have space to do this, but I just do not have the time or the energy to garden. I miss some of my mother’s canned foods. There is nothing that compares to the applesauce and the peaches. I loved the pickles she made too.

I will sometimes make food from scratch, but it just depends on what it is and how much time it takes me to do.

May 11, 2016 at 2:05 pm

We usually cook our food at home. This time we need to spend money wisely. Our place is not capable to raise vegetables and others, for we live near beaches, salty water and sand.Nice post.

May 11, 2016 at 3:43 pm

@Jo Dee – back home my mom and I had a small vegetable garden where we grow 2-3 types of vegetables that are common in our locality. It’s always nice to grown your own garden, they always come in handy.

May 12, 2016 at 2:31 am

I only growing herbs in containers since I live in a condo, and having land isn’t their cup of tea, plus they have so many rules about growing thing like that.

I used my herbs for cooking, marinating the meat, poultry, and seafood. When summer ends, I collect the herbs, specially basil, dry them, and crumble them up to bottle for future uses. I don’t need to buy any more basil for the year.

Some herbs though are better fresh than dried.

May 12, 2016 at 5:16 am

From the response I read from above, it makes me create my own backyard. I dream to have our own backyard because both of my parents has a green thumb and I don’t have it. That is why I am a just a quality control food tester at home. I think they will be so happy if we have it. We don’t have a big backyard. Our backyard is like you will raise your both hands in front and that’s it.

We only buy in the market. In the future, we will have it for sure. That is one of my goal.