Author Posts

October 16, 2016 at 9:04 pm

I went to a new doctor about a week ago. He ordered some blood work (lab) to be done. I got an email Friday night saying those results were in. I was able to see the results without having to consult my doctor. My blood sugar was normal, something I am happy to hear since I come from a family that is prone to have diabetes.

Most of all my blood work was normal. Except for a few. My HDL (good cholesterol) was too low. My LDL (bad cholesterol) was high. Cholesterol was high. I already knew I had high cholesterol. So I guess I will need to find a way to bring this down.

My vitamin B12 was low. Now keep in mind I eat plenty of meat (well mostly chicken). I tend to stay away from red meats and I don’t eat pork. I do eat things like cheese and milk products. I do not like milk. So no I don’t drink milk unless I’m eating oreo cookies. So I guess I will need to start taking a B12 supplement.

I then noticed this test called Anion gap. I have never heard of it before until I saw this test. It was low. From what I read online:

The anion gap is the difference in the measured cations (positively charged ions) and the measured anions (negatively charged ions) in serum, plasma, or urine. The magnitude of this difference (i.e., “gap”) in the serum is often calculated in medicine when attempting to identify the cause of metabolic acidosis, a lower than normal pH in the blood.

So it looks like the doctor may need to run some more tests to see why mine is low. This may be nothing and just a minor thing or it could be something serious. I could possibly have what is called low blood sodium or hyponatremia but if it is something serious it could be cancer of the bone marrow.

Now I have noticed a change in me over the past year. In the past, I would be able to walk for miles and miles without getting sick or tired. But now I can’t. I get hot extremely fast and start feeling sick. I have tried giving plasma on a few occasions only to get sick afterward. Hopefully, it is nothing and I am just letting my imagination get away with me but I’ll find out more when I go back to the doctor on the 29th.