Author Posts

June 22, 2016 at 10:05 am

My mom had constipation for 7 days in a row, she is a stroke patient.

My son held on to his stool for 3 days.

Now, how do you cure constipation?

Do you use enema?

Do you use home remedies?

Have you tried vinegar with green tea?

I had just found out that by mixing hot green tea with 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, no sugar, helps my mom to poop in an hour.

You have to drink the stingy foul smell beverage slowly in order for the vinegar to stimulate the bowel movement.

Hence, the stool will purge out but it will tear the anus skin.

The stool was hard and huge.

Do you have any suggestion to encourage bowel movement?

June 22, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Oh, the poor dear! It sounds like your mother needs a stool softener like docusate (sold as Colace or  Dulcolax.) A stool softener is much milder than a laxative and, as long as she gets enough water when she takes it, the medicine will soften the hard stool so she won’t experience any more tearing. It’s slower-acting than a laxative, but should take effect in 1-3 days.

Speak to your mother’s doctor or pharmacist about using a stool softener as needed – or whether she might need it on a regular basis. Some stroke patients who aren’t getting enough fiber and exercise do take docusate daily. If you can increase her fiber intake and ensure she’s getting plenty of water, this might not be necessary. But do ask. Constipation is a common problem with people who have had strokes, and sometimes they become impacted – not a fun condition!

When I worked in chronic care, we handed out a lot of prune juice and fruit puree made from prunes mixed with raisins and dates. That helped some of our patients. A hard stool wants soluble fiber and plenty of water. This page has a list of foods that might help in futre:

http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health/Nutrition-A-Z/Fibre/Food-Sources-of-Fibre.aspx

June 22, 2016 at 2:24 pm

@ruby3881  I fully endorse what you have said. Bananas and sweet potatoes are sure winners here.

June 22, 2016 at 4:44 pm

@peachpurple, Sorry to hear about your mother’s constipation problem. Allow your mother to eat squash, it contains numerous fiber . Papaya is also a potential fruit to stop constipation. Another, buy her Virgin Coconut Oil, and have her drink 1 tablespoon 3 x  a day before meal.

June 22, 2016 at 4:46 pm

@bestwriter, I agree with you, bananas and sweet potatoes stop constipation. I tried to eat sweet potato, it really helps remove fast.

August 19, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Many people have a acute problem of constipation. Your tips look good.
The problem is even more if a child is having it.
I have seen drinking a lot of water and eating high fibre, easily digestible food helps.

August 19, 2016 at 1:52 pm

http://172.104.9.193/members/ptrikha15/

yeah i told my mom about those regular tips, she drank a lot of water, green tea and barley drinks, ate banana, oranges, apples and guavas, still her poop came out on the 7th day

August 19, 2016 at 3:12 pm

@peachpurple  taking two tripha tablets with lukewarm powder at night helps. you can also take triphala powder. It is an Ayurvedic remedy and has no side effects.

August 19, 2016 at 4:25 pm

The best remedy is water. We have to comply the 8 glasses of water everyday to avoid constipation.It is also advisable to eat foods with fiver like squash, sweet potato, okra and dark leafy vegetables.They are the best for our health system.

August 19, 2016 at 5:53 pm

I think you can consult a doctor on what kind of laxative will be best for your mom. In some point, if she had her stroke; some Physiotherapist encourages the patient to do some exercises. However, it depends on what type of stroke.

There is also an extra precautions for the stroke patients. It is not allowed to have Valsava Maneuver when doing some appropriate exercises. The combination of proper breathing exercises and physical exercises can be done in combination. There are some techniques on how to do this. One of the cause of constipation is immobility. However, there is also bed mobility exercises as Home Instructions from a Physiotherapist or Physiatrist.

August 30, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Oooh that’s hard but it is not impossible to treat, you can try home remedies like olive oil, and then she can also take a lot of greens or vegetables, arrow roots and sweet potatoes that will work wonders. if that doesn’t work then she will need to visit the doctor so that they can do some tests to determine what the problem is.

September 16, 2016 at 8:56 am

The safest method is to mix one or two spoons of Aloe Vera juice in a cup of hot water and take it. It makes the bowel movement easy and safe. It won’t tear off  the skin. You can enjoy it safely.