Author Posts

May 17, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I don’t know about you but I rarely see the creativity, aesthetic, and originality in the songs today. Although some are really good most are only about hooking up, partying all night, doing drugs and all those stuff that our parents told me to stay away from. Growing up, I’ve always appreciated the good lyrics of songs and how they’re made by real artists. These days, 4 or more writers to come up with 1 song that has no content, repetitive lyrics and a lot of Boom Boom in the end.

I may be getting old but I’m glad, I’m from a different generation – when everything still makes a lot of sense.

May 20, 2016 at 7:36 am

I agree. Sometimes, I think I could have come up with a better song than one that has about 4 lines and they are just repeated over and over again. I think they are just trying to see who can out do each other with redundant and senseless lyrics. I want something that means something and something that is going to evoke an emotion in me.

May 20, 2016 at 7:44 am

I totally agree with you. I have really just started listening to my CDs from the 90s and early 2000s. Anymore the music just is a bunch of words with no meaning or like you said about hooking up, drugs, or violence. It’s sad because this is the music that kids are growing up to now and they wouldn’t know good music when they hear it. Because music we listened to growing up and when we were teens is “too old” to be cool to them.

May 26, 2016 at 10:55 am

sounds like “who runs the world, girls” haha.. anyway, i find it difficult to see good songs these days, they sound good for a while but it doesn’t last like the older songs before.

May 26, 2016 at 11:10 am

@ Christi Ann Tonel Espinola  This seems to be the trend everywhere. If you listen to English songs then they are all about sex, drugs, alcohol and partying. The Rap songs are even worse with lot of violence also thrown in and not to mention the abusive words in the lyrics.

India is a conservative country but even in our local music industry, the lyrics are on the decline. Obscene lyrics and lyrics glorifying the use of alcohol and partying till late night are quite in vogue. Veteran Singers and lyricists have often raised their voice against this trend and expressed their displeasure. Some have outrightly refused to sing or write such songs but the trend seems to continue.

May 28, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Yes, yes, yes.  I am in total agreement.  Some songs these days are extremely depressing and who in the world wants to be depressed?  Some degrade women, a lot of cursing, and yes partying, drugs and the sort.  It is really dismaying.  I also agree with the statement about being older.  Being older you appreciate what music and songs are really about and personally I really love the old school stuff.  What really kills me is the fact that some of today’s youth seem to live by the songs of today.  I mean come on, are these artists putting money into anybody’s pockets?  No.  If anything some people are so obsessed with some of these celebrities that they have to purchase a collection.  To each it’s own but I would not even waste my money, I could think of other important things to spend my money on like a house for instance.

Secondly, it really gets me how some in this world operate.  The computer and internet were created and with that it gives everyone the right and ability to do whatever pleases them as long as it is lawful.  With that being said.  Why is it that it is illegal to get music and songs off of the internet but it is rightful to buy music and songs in the stores?  What is the difference?  Let me give a more detailed example.  Okay it is lawful to purchase say Share Bear (I believe that is what it is called) and with this program you can download music, videos, and movies, correct?  Then you have these bit torrent programs which enables people to do the same, the only difference is you do not have to pay for it.  The lesson; always out to make a dollar.   Only hearsay but I heard that a lot of people were utilizing these bit torrent programs so much that now the government is coming down on those who do and even arresting people for it.

Anywho!  Music and songs are not a priority for me.  Being older I have better things to do even though I do find music that is comforting to be essential at times for a long or hard day at work or for anything that may have been extremely challenging for that moment or day.   Sometimes when I feel bored or I am in my kitchen cooking I also find it relaxing to listen to something that is uplifting even gospel music.  Speaking of gospel music, some of these are getting outrageous too.  It is almost like some are turning it into today’s music with dance moves and the like.  To me that is not impressive.  I find it to be gratifying just singing about the Lord.

May 29, 2016 at 6:50 pm

I love the rhythm, sometimes I get used to the rhythm and how the song was sang, but not the lyrics and the thought of the song. Like the song from Jason Derulo, Talk Dirty. The song has a good rhythm but not the lyrics. There are lots to mention, Bottoms Up by Trey, I don’t like the rap part of Nikki Minaj there but it has a good rhythm. I prefer some old songs. Even though some kids will make fun of me when I am singing some old song, I am very proud that those songs I was singing was clean and has a decent message.

However, there are still songs of today that really has a good message and melody.