Author Posts

June 27, 2016 at 5:39 am

Picture (13)

taken by peachpurple at a coffeeshop

This is the picture of a stray cat sitting comfortably on one of the chairs in a coffee shop.

This is a common scene where you can find 5-6 stray cats and kittens roaming around the coffee shop while customers are dining there for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

These stray cats were dumped into the coffee shop areas by the neighborhood who had planned to discard these poor felines, both male and females.

Kittens were often found roaming around meowing without its mommy, very pitiful sight but nobody is willing to care for them.

Some kind customers would feed these cats and kittens with left over  bones, accidentally dropped chicken, crackers .

The worst scenario is when the cats jumped onto the lap of the customers, jumped onto the chair, sitting next to the eating customer or onto the table itself!

I often had to shake off the chair so that the cat would jump off the chair.

Some customers simply used their legs to kick the cat away.

The coffee shop owner does not bother chasing away these cats.

Still, there are many customers dining here because the food and drinks are cheaper than elsewhere!!

June 27, 2016 at 6:56 am

While it can be charming to see animals in a cafe, in Canada there are health codes that prevent any animals (except service animals) from being in an establishment that prepares or serves food.

A very few special places exist, where the owner has taken out a permit allowing cats and dogs into the building. But they must be kept away from the areas where food is made and eaten. If an owner were to allow animals at the tables, the cafe would be shut down by the health department.

June 27, 2016 at 8:51 am

@ruby3881  I quite understand your concern. Apart from the hygiene all customers may not like cats. It’s time they are reported.

We have a shop here that sells groceries. And there on the cash counter is a cat that likes to be patted. Most customers do that and yours truly included    🙂  It is not scared of anyone.

June 27, 2016 at 8:57 am

http://172.104.9.193/members/ruby3881/

some cafe do allow the customer and pets to dine together under supervision.

However, this coffee shop is different.

All the cats are stray cats that roam on the streets and eat off food waste on the table and the floor.

Nobody owns these cats.

It is unhygienic to have stray cats eating off the table.

They are dirty and filthy unlike cats that are owned by someone.

Maybe someone should report to the vet department to have these cats taken away.

However, it would be cruel to do so because the vet department will put them to sleep ( kill ) because there are simply too many stray cats in our country.

http://172.104.9.193/members/bestwriter/

such a cute cat to have patted by customers.

Is that a stray cat or good breed type?

June 27, 2016 at 11:00 am

@bestwriter It’s not my concern at all. I was simply stating a fact that in Canada such activity would get the cafe closed. We’ve seen plenty of other businesses where dogs or cats are an integral part of the decor (or staff?) Many people do find it charming, including me. I worked in a store that had cats who lived in the building. It started with one and grew to a little family of four. They were all spayed or neutered and very well cared for. Everybody loved them 🙂

@peachpurple We also have issues with an overpopulation of cats. Any strays found would likely be euthanized. Sometimes the very small kittens can find a home, though.

June 27, 2016 at 11:27 am

I could relate why we had adopted several stray cats at home. My grandchildren do love pets like cats and dogs. We discourage them from bringing home puppies though they are not difficult to rear them up, but they’re too dangerous when they happen to bite people. Rabies vaccination is too costly.

So, they refrain from adopting puppies. Instead, they bring home cats, stray cats. Now we have several stray cats to feed. My son-in-law has found it too heavy to let those cats be reared and fed every day. So he decided to dispose of one of them. He dumped it to a very far place, thinking that it would never come back. After a week, we were surprised while we were eating our supper to seeing the cat back. Therefore, I told everyone not to discard the cat anymore. We considered it as a part of our family.

June 27, 2016 at 2:44 pm

@nakitakona13 that is the reason we do not say no to a cat visiting the house because it is useless to dump them far away, they will come back. They come back because they get something from you and that is food. Some cats have personality, they are not sweet at all. I love those sweet ones as I can carry them, kiss them, play with them and some are really smart, the feel what you feel inside and will not leave you alone. I have lots of cats and i don’t care if a lot of neighbor will hate my family for doing so. My neighbors are the ones that kills cat because they are dirty. I pity them because they stoop on the level of cat knowing that cat is an animal and human being should understand them more.

I do agreed with spaying them so that they will not grow in numbers.

June 27, 2016 at 3:00 pm

@grecy095, those people who take pleasure in killing the cats, are too cruel. They are terribly disturbed and annoyed by the natural mannerism of those cats. They scatter their dirt anywhere. They are seemed to be not disciplined or tamed. In reality, it is not the cat that is a problem. It is actually the owner who doesn’t know how to take care of their domestic cats. Cats do their thing according to their instinct, but once they are trained on how to behave, cats could the best pet to have.

July 10, 2016 at 2:58 am

If only I could know how to train them. Well I can train my cats not to poop at home and they are pooping at the comfort room actually. We do not have a place that has a sand so they poop at the comfort room, we have a separate room for them. The other cats that spread their dirt in the neighborhood are not my cats, it is a stray cats. My neighbors are just plain dumb thinking that we own all of the cats strolling in the neighborhood.

July 13, 2016 at 11:26 am

I think it is so cute for cats walking around the coffee shop. I hope they are friendly for the customers. In Chinese culture, they believed that cats in certain businesses bring luck to the owner. It invites the people to come in and explore of any business establishments.

July 14, 2016 at 2:26 pm

http://172.104.9.193/members/nakitakona13/

cats and dogs have very sensitive and good senses, like the antenna or GPS.

Can scan where is your home even you throw it far far away.

Very amazing.

I had 2 stray cats, one of them my neighbor took it and now became a very fat tabby cat

while the other, my MIL took it in.

July 14, 2016 at 2:55 pm

@peachpurple, the cat in your photo is so cute and behaving, just imagine his role in that fast food chain, almost the owner of that restaurant, hehehehe.Despite that, it is not good to see cats roaming around within the vicinity for there are sensitive customers. If it happens that I drop there to dine, I will surely do not proceed.

July 14, 2016 at 3:26 pm

http://172.104.9.193/members/lovern/

you are right, not all customers like cats especially when dining in restaurants.

Some are allergic, some find them dirty, hygiene purpose

I can’t stand when cats with runny nose come near me, whoosh! I will change the table instead

July 14, 2016 at 3:54 pm

http://172.104.9.193/members/lovern/

yeah, it feels yucky to have a stray cat sitting next to you on the seat or jumped onto the table while you eat.

The furs flying here and there, plus the sniffling mucus, oh gosh, can’t stand it!