Author Posts

May 9, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Many movies are adaptations of best-selling books. This makes me wonder: Do you read the book first or do you see the movie first and then decide to read the book?

Personally I prefer to read the book first. Books are often more detailed and more enjoyable than the movie. Many movies don’t do justice to the books.

May 9, 2016 at 12:50 pm

I want to read the book if I have a copy if I have money to buy a copy, if someone is willing to lend me a copy. Most of the time I watched the movie first because I don’t have the copy of the book. I will read the book after it when I have a copy or when I can download PDF copy.

One movie that I was reading the book first before able to watch the movie is Percy Jackson novels. I love this one. I also read Narnia Novels before I able to watch the movie. I also like the movie of these novels.

May 9, 2016 at 12:55 pm

@grecy I prefer reading the book first. But sometimes you come to know about a book only when you watch the movie and that makes you curious about the book. I read ‘The fault in our stars’ after watching the movie.

May 9, 2016 at 1:24 pm

I always enjoy reading books more. I feel the books contain a part of the writer’s soul and this spirit cannot seldom be caught on the screen. While reading a book we can view the protagonists and relate to them with our point of view or our life experiences but movies depict a director’s point of view.

Having said that, in recent times I have enjoyed the Hobbit movies, Lord of the Rings trilogy and Hunger Games movies. They were very well made and the scenes and battles were spectacular.

But most of the times I prefer to read books. Most movies I watch only once. Books I can read again and again and again without getting bored.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Dawnwriter.

May 9, 2016 at 10:38 pm

I read The Hobbit a long time ago more than once. I have all the movies as well and feel that they did a pretty good job with it. I really like to read the books before the move and sometimes, I will not even watch the movie after I have read the books because I have a certain image in my mind about the characters and the actors they use to portray those characters do not fit with my image.

This happened with The Davinci Code and Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. I did not see Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon and was not able to watch the movie. I guess I am just weird that way. I feel that the books are usually way better than the movie since they have more details about the characters and the spirit of the author is in the book but the movies lack that element.

May 12, 2016 at 4:16 am

Fantasy, Adventure, Phycology, and Sci-fi are my favorite genres, and when a story on those genre brought to the cinema. Most of the time i read the book first before i watched the movie.

But the vice versa usually happens  when the genre is romance or drama. I knew the book after i watched the movie. And if i love the movie i’ll definitely  will buy the book or ebook to added it to my collections 🙂

May 12, 2016 at 4:45 am

The only movie I had ever watched was Titanic.

Back then, the book wasn’t “Born” yet.

So, you could say I watch the movie first.

Reading the book about the movie, is one way you can know what the movie is all about, whether it is your cup of tea.

You could also know the outcome, who is the hero, who died, who is the bandit, etc.

This is similar to Harry Potter.

The book is out way before the movie started.

Either way, both the author and the company sponsoring the movie are making big bucks

I prefer to watch the movie rather than buying and reading the book.

After all, I don’t watch the movie in the cinema anymore.

I download them into my hard drive and watch when I had time.

August 3, 2016 at 3:55 pm

@shaloowalia I always prefer reading the book first.
These days I watch the movies on the DVD or online.So I could wait till I had read the book.Of course,I do not wait to read the book before watching the movie in all cases.Majority of the movies are not book adaptations.

September 17, 2016 at 11:57 pm

I guess it all depends on the title. For example, I read all of the books in the Twilight series. I am glad I did. The movie was nothing like the books. The book tends to be more in-depth than the movie was. Now when it comes to Stephen King books/movies majority of the time both can be a little scary depending on the director of the movie. The Shawshank Redemption was actually better in the movie compared to the book.

Now when it comes to the Fifty Shade series, I did not like the books. So far the first movie was okay. I am really not looking towards the second movie but will watch it whenever it comes out on tv, I guess. I will not spend money to watch it.

October 5, 2016 at 1:11 am

I like to read the book first.  Then I watch the movie to see how far it goes from the book or how close it keeps.

Two crazy things are ‘Sherlock’ and ‘Merlin’.

Having read the Sherlock Holmes stories and the legend of King Arthur, these two television programs totally deviate from ‘canon’.  Sherlock is set today, and Merlin recreates the legend, totally differently…. YET

I adore Sherlock and Merlin.

October 5, 2016 at 3:48 pm

For me. it all depends whatever comes first. When I read a book about an adventure, scifi, life of a person and later come across with it as being shown in the cinema, I would see it and compare my reading on how it is being depicted. In the same manner, when I happen to see a movie and when there is an available book for it, I would spend time reading it. It is the same I am going to compare how the movie is filmed based on what the book tells it.

Like in the case of Harry Potter, I almost see the series of movie of Harry Potter but I have not even read the book when in fact, it is already available. But I have already seen the movie. If I would have a chance, I would read them all.