Today, we are going vegetarian since we are out of meats.
Initially, I thought that vegetarian meals are difficult to prepare but it turns out the other way round.
On contrary, vegetarian meals are not as complicated as it seems and not time consuming either.
Instead, all you need is to gather all the vegetables together, prepare them and what matters most is the seasoning to cook a delicious vegetarian meal that your whole family would give you a thumb up.
The beauty of this Grilled Tofu with Mixed Vegetable contains abundance of nutrients, packed with vitamins and fibre which is healthy for young and old.
Since there isn’t any fish or poultry in this recipe, I had used tofu to provide sufficient protein for my family.
Cauliflower, green pepper and carrots are hard texture vegetables but simmering for a few minutes helps to soften them pretty well.
If you want something different, replace these vegetables with broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes, celery or parsnips.
In addition, I had included button mushrooms, cut into quarters but do discard the water in the can.
Alternatively , replace the button mushrooms with shitake mushrooms, dried black mushrooms or oyster mushroom instead.
Mushrooms do not have any fats, no cholesterol, no sugar at all.
Instead, mushrooms are high in fiber and potassium which helps to boost your family members immune system and fight against free radicals with anti-oxidants.
That is why I like to add in lots of vegetarian ingredients into this dish.
As for the firm tofu, there are 2 ways to grill tofu depending on which method you preferred.
You can either use outdoor grill or oven grill to toast the tofu.
If you want to cut down the hassle, how about using the frying pan to toast the tofu with a little olive oil or butter.
So, do make sure try this tofu recipe for a change.
Sometimes, it is nice to try vegetarian food once in a while.
Grilled Tofu with Mixed Vegetables Recipe
-1 block of firm tofu -cut into rectangular shapes
-1 small cauliflower-cut into florets
-1 green pepper ( capcium)- remove seeds, cut into quarters
-1 small carrot-peeled and sliced thickly
-2 clove garlic-chopped
-a few slices of ginger
-1/2 can of button mushrooms-drained from the can, cut into quarters
– 1tbps of vegetarian oyster sauce
-1 tsp light soy sauce
-1/2 cube vegetable stock (Knorr brand)
Step by step instructions:
- Grill the rectangular tofu in a lightly buttered frying pan.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, toss in cauliflowers and carrots to soften them.
- Drain them, set aside.
- Heat up a wok with corn oil.
- Saute chopped garlic and ginger until aromatic.
- Add in button mushrooms and green pepper, stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add in the cooked cauliflower and carrots.
- Pour in 125ml water and chicken stock.
- Allow the stock to simmer for 10min.
- Use a fork to poke the vegetables, making sure they are cooked. ( easily poke )
- Add in button mushrooms and grilled tofu.
- Once all the ingredients are heated through, add the fish sauce and pepper.
- Turn off heat when the stock reduce to almost dry up.
Yield: 3-4 persons
photo taken by peachpurple
More vegetarian recipes to share
Copyright allrights reserved by peachpurple
Photo belonged to peachpurple
Read more articles written by peachpurple HERE
Join LiteracyBase NOW and start sharing your
experience with us while earning money