Not sure if you’re ready to get out there and meet someone new? Here’s a few things you need to be able to say “yes” to before you’re ready to date again.
1. You want to date for the right reasons
Once you’re no longer looking for rebounds or trying to make your ex jealous, then you are quite ready. You’re not trying to fill a void left behind by the breakup. Instead, you’re dating because you’re ready to move on and meet new people.
2. You have done a logical introspection
If you’re still blaming your ex for everything that went wrong in your relationship, you’re not ready to date yet. Part of moving on is being able to own up to your own personal BS and mistakes – even if that mistake was dating your ex in the first place.
3. Your anger is gone
You’re perfectly entitled to feel angry as hell after a breakup. Allow yourself to feel all the feelings – even the ugly ones that make you want to throw stuff against the wall. You need to process all the crappy emotional stuff or you’re going to carry all these negative feelings into your next relationship.
4. You took your time
If you took your time and healed completely before deciding to have a go at love again, you are doing just right.
5. You are fine with being alone
Being single does not faze you, and being in a relationship is just something that happened in the natural course. It wasn’t forced, neither was it chased as a way if forgetting your anger and misery.
6. YOU’VE REACHED THE POINT WHERE YOU’RE NO LONGER CONSTANTLY TALKING OR THINKING ABOUT YOUR EX. This is a big one. It’s totally normal to think about your ex and want to talk about the break up after it happens. The healing process after a breakup isn’t complete until you’ve had a chance to air all of your grievances and vent until you’re blue in the face. No one wants to date the person who is still obsessed with their ex. Take time to process the breakup. When you’re ready to date again you’ll be able to leave your past relationship where it belongs: in the past.
7. YOU’VE DONE SOMETHING REALLY NICE FOR YOURSELF. Your heart was broken, you deserve some self-love and to indulge a little. Whether that involves treating yourself to a massage, that tattoo you’ve been saving for or just taking some time out to chill, you need to give this gift to yourself before you start dating again – if only to remind yourself that you’re 100% worth it.