I have never thought that kids would fall in love with Cheesy Egg Mice which are much alike Devilled Eggs to me.
These Cheesy Egg Mice are served at birthday parties, dinner parties and light snacks when kids are enjoying themselves with kids games.
Today, I had made some Egg Mice for my kids and their cousins who had visited our home for Chinese New Year Celebration.
Besides having cookies, cold beverages and Chinese BBQ sweet pork which is also known as Bak Kua ( alike Jerky pork ), I wanted them to have something different for snacks.
This recipe is easily prepared even for your kids who loved fun cooking time.
All you have to do is boil some hard boiled eggs, get your kids to crack the egg shells ( my boy loves to crack the eggs on the table ) and start mashing up the egg yolks with the cheese.
Although the mixture may turn our sticky and goey, they learn to help around instead of eating.
Kids favorite ingredient in any type of meal is CHEESE!
Yes, this soft low fat cheese makes a wonderful substitute for mayonnaise or mustard mixture with egg yolks.
This is alike Devilled eggs recipe where egg yolks are mashed up with mustard and scoop back into the egg whites as the fillings.
Since kids couldn’t stand the taste of mustard and chilli powder, soft cheese sweetened with a little sourish taste that attracts kids finicky taste buds.
Kids also enjoyed very much with Cheesey Egg Mice decorations.
Stubbing in the currants for the eyes, becareful with the knife when you cut small slits on the edge of the egg whites. Don’t allow kids to handle the knife until they are older.
Some kids don’t mind eating the thin radish for the mice ears but if they are choosy, replace the ears with thin slices of cucumbers instead!
Cheesy Mice Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1 oz of finely grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 oz of low fat soft cheese
- 8 slices of radishes
- 16 black currants or sultanas
- 2oz of Edam cheese, cut into small cubes
How to prepare:
- Firstly, bring to boil a pot of water with 4 eggs inside.
- Close the lid to allow the eggs to harden, make hard boiled eggs which may take approximately 10 min at high heat.
- Remove the eggs, put into a bowl of tap water.
- Crack the eggs with the back of a spoon, peel off the shells.
- Carefully, cut the hard boiled eggs into halves, lengthways and scoop out the yolks into another bowl.
- Add in the grated cheese and low fat cheese and mix together until smooth.
- Spoon the cheesy egg yolks into the egg whites and smooth the surface with a knife.
- To assemble the cheesy mice, cut small slits at the pointed ed of the eggs.
- Insert a small thin slice of radish for the “ears”
- Poke in 2 currants for the mouse “eyes”
- Cut strips of radish for the “tails”
- On a flat plate, decorate some iceberg lettuce as the ‘Grass”
- Place the egg mice on top the lettuce.
- Arrange small chunks of cheese in front of the mice.
Ready to be serve for your kids to squeal at these Cheesy Mice!
Written by peachpurple
Photo taken by pixabay
More recipes written by peachpurple