Do you love French Fries?
I am sure that majority of us , especially kids and teens love French Fries served at fast-food and Western restaurants.
French Fries is also known as Potato Chips which is different from the snack chips.
Some may call them Fries, Finger Chips or French Fried Potatoes depending on the country that you reside in.
Here, generally, French Fries are sold in Regular or Large size which is one of the side dish for burgers, Pizzas, Chicken or Pork Chops and Kids Value Meals.
However, French Fries sold in the market are highly marinated with raw salt and fried in REUSE or RECYCLED oil which are not healthy and highly saturated with fats plus calories.
I had noticed that many teens would dump in French Fries into a paper bag, toss in a sachet of salt and pepper, crumple up the neck of the paper bag before shaking them well.
This action surprised me since French Fries itself were marinated with raw salt, why do teens add in more salt than required?
Hence, I would never allow my kids to follow those unhealthy way of consuming fries.
Instead, I would rather homemade French Fries at home, knowing how much salt I had used and what type of potatoes and oil I had used for my kids consumption.
- Reduce as much salt as possible and try not to reuse the oil.
- Re-Boiling or reheating the used oil would induce CANCER in long term run.
- Don’t fry French Fries often, turn it into a “treat” for special occasion or reward for a good purpose.
Although French Fries is considered as a Junk Food or Unhealthy Snack, controlling the amount of salt used and proper cooking methods help to reduce the calories and fats consumed.
You can also use an Air Fryer that use high technology to cook food, HOT Air Frying that doesn’t use oil at all.
How to make your own French Fries
- 600g large potatoes
- Lots of Sunflower or Peanut Oil for deep frying
- A Little salt
Method of Making:
- Peel all the potatoes.
- Slice them into thick rectangular lengths ( alike the French Fries at McD)
- Place the raw potatoes into a bowl of cold water ( tap water ) and let them soak for 15min.
- Soaking helps to induce firmer and crispy French Fries.
- In addition, it will remove the excess starch.
- Drain them and dry thoroughly with kitchen paper towel.
- Lightly sprinkle a little salt over the fries and shake them.
- Heat up wok or electric deep fryer to 190C with sufficient palm or peanut oil.
- Make sure the potato fries are dry not wet.Otherwise the oil will start popping.
- Drop in the fries into the wok / fryer into the hot oil.
- Try to separate them by using the spatula to loosen them.
- After a few minute, flip the fries over to cook the other side until crispy and a little brownish.
- If you are using a deep fryer, lift up the basket to drain the excess oil.
- Shake the basket to allow the excess oil to drip off for a few minutes.
- If you are using the wok, use the spatula to lift up the fries to the side of the wok.
- Then transfer to a kitchen paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve hot with chilli sauce or tomato ketchup.
- Don’t add in salt because the fries were marinated with salt already.
Recipe created by @peachpurple
Photo taken by @peachpurple
More recipes by @peachpurple