Author Posts

January 28, 2017 at 10:39 pm

Like I said before. My dad and my husband are both from The Bahamas and they have friends from Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad, etc. I know the island folks get into some really heated AND INFORMED discussions about politics; especially the politics of other countries, as they clearly recognize though they may be island countries, “no country is an island and no country stands alone”. What happens in one country can definitely spill over into the other country!  So I’m sure there are lively discussions going on WHERE U AT!!  🙂

January 29, 2017 at 1:13 am

Yeah, but we aren’t as worried as I thought we would be.   We’ve gotten into a lot of trade deals with other countries, and have been replacing many American imports with others… for example, (this is coming from the ‘me’ who is a frequent shopper) there used to be a huge quantity of cooking oil from America on the shelves.  Today, the majority of imports are from Trinidad.  The American oil sells poorly.

As I said before, you won’t find an American car on our roads.  What doesn’t come from Japan comes from Germany what doesn’t come from Germany comes from Korea, and we got these big clumsy buses from India.

Our trade with America has dropped about 3 Billion dollars since 2008.   What some people are saying is that they hope Trump chases all of our nurses back home, (we have a shortage) and in a selfish way, I guess, I’d love if he turned his ‘America First’ or “Jobs for Americans’ on those, like our nurses, who have been abducted.

America comes here and finds the best and brightest and abducts them.  They go to the U.S., live like Millionaires and of course, benefit America.   If he’d just ship them back home, I think we’d be most grateful.

January 29, 2017 at 1:14 am

my response to you has just inspired an article

January 29, 2017 at 5:47 am

Nobody is holding the “abductees” here in America. They’re staying of their own free will. I’m just thinking. I have no way of knowing. But I think that many would be happy to come back to their native land and build it up. They just don’t want to wrestle and wrangle with corrupt government officials who want to skim the cream off the top of any of their good works. Their good works are for the needy; not the greedy.

So if I made it good in another country, but the country I left behind always cuts off opportunities, I’d rather set up a scholarship fund and make a way for kids from my country to get an education in the country that has treated me well. Maybe they will have the energy, the resolve, and fortitude to go back home and fight the power!!

January 29, 2017 at 6:42 am

I am being ‘sarcastic’ when I call them abductees.    I have some genius friends.  One had been headhunted from one major company to another, and then no less than Dell went after him.  He was going to buy a house here, he had everything here, and you never would have thought he’d of left. But they offered him a package if I write it here you would think I was making it up!

We joke about his abduction on Skype and stuff.

Another friend of mine was ‘abducted’ by a British company.  He was back during Xmas.

I think they don’t want to come back.     I mean, the lights always go on, the water always comes from the pipes, the roads are always repaired, everything always works… so…  I think they get used to the 1st World.

If Trump chases them back home, I’m sure after a short ‘mourning’ period, they’ll fit in again.  It’s a major issue in re nurses, because the Gov of Ja can’t pay them much more than what they are getting now.

One of the things is that every $1 you have is $129 Ja.   If you make $10k a week in the US you are making over 1M Ja.    You can send back $1k a week to JA and that is $129,000 and your family can live like royalty.  Even if you send back $100 a week, think of it, $12,900.00… that’s enough for a family to live on… middle class.

But we have a serious issue with health here.  Which is why, many people will go to the US or Cuba or England for hospital treatment.

January 29, 2017 at 9:24 am

No I wouldn’t think you were making it up. Those “woo the employee packages” can be quite nice. You were joking. But I was serious about my comments. I was actually thinking of people from other countries other than Jamaica and I was also thinking of Americans who do go over to countries that are not their homeland and try to help. So I took what you wrote and my mind went off in a sort of different direction.

Neither my husband nor my father were “abducted”. They both came on their own.

(P.S. Trump is not trying to chase away people with KSAs – knowledge, skills, and abilities.)

January 29, 2017 at 11:16 am

The last two days have really brought tolight what a man  Mr. Trump is?  Many people who did not vote him continued their protest against him and his election as President. The one who supported him but did not vote him in preference to Mrs. Hillary is seeing at things with hands over their mouth. Totally surprised to see the executive order which has been approved going ahead with the construction of Mexican wall which was always taken as a joke and happened to be a point to make fun of him and his actions against.  The moment the news is released there were many pouring appreciations for the decision which they never expected. The Mexican President when announced that it would not pay for the cost he, without any hesitation, asked him to remain at home. He even pointed out the reimbursement plan for the construction of the wall which surprised many and which he did not reveal earlier with a simple equation.

The second executive order banning the Syrian Refugees and the Muslims of 7 other countries is sending shockwaves among many countries internationally.

We have to wait and see how Mr. Trump would make America for the Americans.

January 30, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Well, of course, I don’t know the man personally. (For the record, I also don’t know Vladmir Putin or Rick Perry personally.)  But to say the last two days have brought to light the kind of man Mr. Trump is must mean all those other days you weren’t paying attention. Donald Trump revealed his character many many years ago, long before he ever became POTUS.

Why is anybody totally surprised by anything he said or says, does or he is doing? He is acting and deciding things that are totally in character. In “his character”. Nothing he does is a surprise.

And why do people keep saying we have to “wait and see”?

• The only thing I’m waiting for, is for the next 4 years to be over!!
  • I hope I’ll still be alive and well to see it!
  • I pray during that in period of time there won’t be another Civil War or a World War 3!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by  Treathyl FOX.

January 31, 2017 at 1:54 am

My friends were in the top of their field which is why they were approached.  I recall one of them agreeing with my word; ‘abduction’ because he was comfortable.  He was happy.  He had everything here.  But the offer they made was so … unrefusable…

I don’t know..  to me…  the easiest way to ‘bring jobs home’  is to find those jobs which Americans didn’t/couldn’t fill, but now there are local candidates.

We all know that in I.T. there were not enough persons going into the field in the US so other countries had to be mined.  But now?

January 31, 2017 at 2:00 am

I so agree with you.  He has done nothing to surprise me… nauseate, yes, but even from this distance I know who and what he is.

January 31, 2017 at 3:47 am

Head hunting agencies make good money. It’s not hard to scout out people with talent. The talented ones rise to the top so they can be easily seen. All they have to do is “dangle the carrot” and see if they will take a bite.   Most bite!  🙂

January 31, 2017 at 3:53 am

No he does nothing surprising. I’m glad there are a lot of “eyes” on him though. I’m glad he mentioned “the people” and their ability to govern themselves in his inaugural speech. If he thinks he was just uttering “empty words”, he better think again.  A lot of US took those words very seriously.

January 31, 2017 at 4:19 am

Oh yes.  He is first class.   And his wife would have strangled him if he turned it down.  So they went up.  He looks good… puffy but good.  (everyone I know goes up to the US and gets puffy… cept me. No matter where I am I don’t eat junk.

January 31, 2017 at 4:26 am

When I wrote about getting what you ordered, to my mind, people ordered escargot and are surprised to get snails.   The guy said everything he is doing in baby words so a 6 year old could understand.

That he is stupid, yes.  Short sighted, certainly.  That he doesn’t think of consequences, exactly.