Author Posts

May 14, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Discuss best ways to clean the bathroom and the toilet? What are the must-have tools? Do you prefer chemicals or natural products?

Share tips, stories and other tried and tested methods

May 16, 2016 at 9:07 am

To clean the bathroom, I will use a cleaner that has bleach in it to get rid of mildew and germs. I will sometimes use baking soda and vinegar for the sink and the tub, but I will use something with bleach in it for the toilet. The floor will be steam mopped since I like this better than traditional mopping and think it does a better job. The hot steam will disinfect the floor around the toilet good as well as the rest of the floor.

May 16, 2016 at 9:47 am

I use soap powder and a broom with firm bristles to scrub the floor. I can’t waste money of cleaner or vinegar because they are expensive products.

A good scrub 2 days once is sufficient to keep the toilet floor squeaky clean. You can see that the water run off the floor tiles.

If it is dirty, the water stay on top of the tiles.

In addition, for the past few months, I had seen centipedes, milipedes and earth worms coming out from the sides of the wall and the toilet floor drainage.

I guess that the weather is forcing them to hide indoor because there is water in the toilet and bathroom.

Hence, I had to scrub all 3 bathroom which has 3 toilets ( it is a 2 in 1 ). A lot of work to be done.

Oh yes, if you could afford to buy a bottle of bleach- that washes white clothes, Pour a cupful into a scoop, add a little water and pour into the drainage.

You could see the cockroaches, assorted insects coming out from there !!

Get ready the fly swatter or the broom !

May 16, 2016 at 10:18 am

@morgoodie I really want to buy a steam mop. I have heard such good things about it.

Do you use any particular brand? The ones I have seen in the market are a bit low quality stuff and people say they usually stop working after a few weeks.

Can you clean kitchen, bathroom and stairs etc with the same mop? For traditional mops, I keep the ones for the bathrooms separate.

July 14, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I love my bathroom, so I try to keep it clean and fresh all the time. I use bleaches and air fresheners. so when am cleaning up I always sprinkle vim into the toilet bowl then the floor, leave it for a some minutes then scrub, next step is the sink I do the same then scrub, so when am rinsing I use some Jik and antiseptic to rinse off the bleach. that way am assured of a clean and safe surrounding. I then finish up with a little air freshener. until after five days that will be at the weekend when I can do it all over again.

July 18, 2016 at 9:58 am

I use muriatic acid on the bowl. I stay it for 10 minutes and then clean it with detergent again. I only use powder detergent for bathroom tiles and bowl. I also clean the soap basin and put away towels there whenever I clean the bathroom. Using Zonrox is good too. After cleaning it, I take a bath to clean myself and it is advisable.

October 13, 2016 at 2:48 am

@Dawnwriter  I also want to get a steam mop. I have heard great things about the Shark steam mop but I am uncertain of which kind to get. 

I hate the floors I have. My landlord decided to go cheap with the floors in my house and chose linoleum throughout the house. In every single room. So I think a steam mop would come in handy. In the bathroom, I sometimes use Mr. Clean or fabuloso cleaner.  I also use bleach when needed. Sometimes I go overboard on the bleach.

I also had candles in my bathroom for a fresh scent.

November 4, 2016 at 11:52 am

I am facing the greatest problem with the bathroom cleaning. I used baking soda and vinegar for cleaning the bathroom floor. But, the result is nil.

The bathroom is having polished tiles on the floor as well as on the walls attached. They are having light greenish in color. Small dark spots also will be looking awkward. I used bleaching powder and vinegar. The mix is cleaning the tiles and making them shining. But not removing the dark marks. Is there any cleaner for this? Somebody has advised me to use steam mop before taking up the cleaning process. Is it right?

November 4, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Yes . We can use a good broom with bristles. But it should be used where it should be. If the bathroom floor is rough and rugged surfaces there will be accumulatin of even mass and the floor becomes slippery if proper wash is not taken up regularly or at least once in 2 days.

If the floor is having polished tiles with nice shining then the methods suggested does not work out. The activitiy requires a gentle wash that can remove gemrs, clean the tiles as well as does not affect the tiles on the floor. In that situation we should need to use cleanser.

Though the soap water is useful in cleaning it does not give shining to the tiles.  I am honestly searching for it. somebody has suggested to use an oil. I forget the name of it. I am inquiring in the shops. But not getting any solution.

November 28, 2016 at 3:13 am

Some people do mix both the two chemicals in order to improve the cleansing process but they do not know anything about the chemistry involved here.

I would not recommend use of bleach along with vinegar as it will release Chlorine gas that is a harmful gas and may damage our health.

Inhaling chlorine gas may cause severe issues. So, it is not a better idea to mix the chemicals.

December 14, 2016 at 12:09 am

I use just acid to wash toilets and washroom. The best cleaner I have found in my practical life. I do not know what other ladies use to wash washroom. I recommend acid to clean washroom and toilets at homes.

April 25, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Did you use bathroom cleaning companies http://www.aprefinishing.com/ ? Do you recommend it?