Author Posts

May 20, 2016 at 6:32 pm

IMG_20130907_123503

I love reading and i love to see the books stack perfectly on the shelf.

However, since i lived far away from home, i rented small space for myselves. I prefer to made my own furniture for my room, so it will fit perfectly and i can utilized all the spaces.

This project is easy to make – i only made it by myself so you can do it too ^^

For the hanging book display:

1. Buy the MDF sheet – ask the store to cut it based on your preference size.

2. Smooth the surface and edge to remove the sewdust of MDF

3. Applied a wood coating

4. Paint with your choice of color – i used paint sprays and white color, because if you lived on small space like me and have lots of things, white is the perfect color to make your room looks larger.

5. Wait for a day to dry the paint and remove the smells

6. Attached the MDF sheet with triangle wall attachment with drill. – i also painted the wall attachement in with to match the color.

6. Stacks your book or any collectibles

For bookshelf :

1. I bought the standard book shelf on flea market.

2. Attached several MDF sheets to adjust the space between the original bookshelf based on the heigh of my books – it will maximize the spaces of your bookshelf.

3. Paint it again and let it dry – i also painted it with white to match the color scheme of my room.

4. For my food storage (left image) i added extra MDF sheet as the wings on the right side of the bookshelf, so i can put my rice cooker on top of it and my water dispenser under it.

Happy Decorating 🙂

• This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by  Haraka.

May 20, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Great job detailing the instructions. I love having bookcases since I love reading. I like to have the books on display also and I like being able to look at them and remember the times that I read them. Or I may want to read them again. I like the shelves and they look nice. I would like to have the wall shelves to display my collection of knick knacks. Those look to be a nice size too. Thanks for sharing this project. You did very good on them.

May 20, 2016 at 7:29 pm

@morgoodie

Thank you 🙂

I had 3 different  sizes, from top to bottom: 1m, 80cm, and the rest 60cm.

Ah.. you collect knick knacks, my friend asked me to made it for them to display her lego collection. Its also nice to display your collectibles.

At first she asked me where i bought that, and i said i made it and only need to spent around $25 for the hanging shelves – the mdf, paint, attachement and coating (i made 5) – while if you buy on the store in my country, you need to pay around $80 each LOL

If you want to make it, here my tips:

– adjust the wall attachment based on what you’ll put on top of it. If it something heavy like books, used the stronger and wide one, while for light collectibles  you can use the small one.

May 20, 2016 at 7:36 pm

A lot of times, you can make something yourself for cheaper than you can if you buy it in the store. I also look in thrift stores for such things too. I am not a very handy person, but I can do some things. I like when you make something like this yourself you also have the advantage of making the shelves different heights. Store bought items tend to have standard shelf sizes and heights that work most of the times but then you may have something taller that will not fit.

I agree that you need to take into account what you are going to put on the shelf in order to make it sturdy enough to hold it up. Great advice, thanks.