What are your thoughts about eating food or drinking – if you have not paid yet?
If you have the intensions of being honest and will pay for the item at check out – I do not think it is a big deal. However, if you are intentionally opening an item, consuming the item and then not paying for it then, that is anything story! It is considered stealing and wrongful!
I can see some scenarios where one would eat or drink prior to paying.
- A person just got out of the gym and heading to the market to pick up dinner. The person is thirsty or hungry from their workout.
- A person just got off of work and stopped by the market for some errands and wants to munch on something.
- A person just picked up their child or children from school, daycare and the child is thirsty or hungry.
- A person is a pregnant and is having pregnancy cravings.
- A person needs to take their medication and needs water, or choking.
- And the scenarios goes on!
I thought about this topic to write because this evening while going grocery shopping – my fiancé and I witnessed a teenager boy go into bakery section in front of us and grab a donut then start munching on it. His mother was in another aisle and I do not think the mother gave him permission to eat it because he walked a different direction than his mother. This grocery store allows children to grab a free cookie at the bakery counter, but not a donut.
However, I often see wrappers or empty bottles throughout the grocery store of people not paying for the items they are eating and I think that is very wrong. Even though the store does make profit overall, it is still considered stealing.
Truthfully, I do not feel right to open a product without paying yet. I never have been in a situation where it was necessary. The closest to eating and drinking is if the store provides sample counters.