21. In the 1980s, Pablo Escobar’s Medellin Cartel was spending $2,500 a month on rubber bands just to hold all their cash.
22. The inventor of the AK-47 has said he wishes he’d invented something to help farmers instead — “for example a lawnmower.”
23. The Vatican Bank is the world’s only bank that allows ATM users to perform transactions in Latin.
24. The duffel bag gets its name from the town of Duffel, Belgium, where the cloth used in the bags was originally sold.
25. James Avery (“Uncle Phil” on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air) was the voice of Shredder on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon.
26. At Fatburger, you can order a “Hypocrite”—a veggie burger topped with crispy strips of bacon.
27. When asked who owned the patent on the polio vaccine, Jonas Salk said, “Well, the people. There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?”
28. The Q in Q-tips stands for quality.
29. Editor Bennett Cerf challenged Dr. Seuss to write a book using no more than 50 different words. The result? Green Eggs and Ham.
30. The act of stretching and yawning is called pandiculation.
31. Sea cucumbers eat with their feet.
32. A murder suspect was convicted after the broken-off leg of a grasshopper in his pants cuff turned out to be a perfect match for an insect found near the victim’s body.
33. After an online vote in 2011, Toyota announced that the official plural of Prius was Prii.
34. In his book, Dick Cheney says his yellow lab Dave was banned from Camp David for attacking President Bush’s dog Barney.
35. Lyme disease is named after the town of Lyme, Connecticut, where several cases were identified in 1975.
36. Reno is farther west than Los Angeles.
37. William Faulkner refused a dinner invitation from JFK’s White House. “Why that’s a hundred miles away,” he said. “That’s a long way to go just to eat.”
38. In 1907, an ad campaign for Kellogg’s Corn Flakes offered a free box of cereal to any woman who would wink at her grocer.
39. Why did the FBI call Ted Kaczynski “The Unabomber”? Because his early mail bombs were sent to universities (UN) & airlines (A).
40. Obsessive nose picking is called rhinotillexomania.